2011 Program Chair of COLT 2011 (together with Sham Kakade)
- 2008 - 2013 member of Die Junge Akademie (German Young Academy), the young scientists branch of the German National Academy of Sciences.
- 2007 - 2010 associate editor for Statistics and Computing
- 2016 Journees Statistiques, Montpellier, France
- 2014 Meeting in Mathematical Statistics, Luminy, France
- 2014 Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL), Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2013 European Conference on Machine Learning (ECML), Prague
- 2009 International Federation of Classifcation Societies (IFCS), Dresden, Germany
... see here
Workshops / summer schools I (co-)organized
- 2016 Dagstuhl workshop "Foundations of Unsupervised Learning"
- 2015 Workshop on learning theory at DALI, La Palma
- 2015 Spring school "Structural Inference in Statistics'', March 2015, Sylt, Germany
- 2013 Spring School on "Structural Inference in Statistics", Bad Belzig, Germany
- 2012 Mini-Symposium "Machine Learning" at the Annual Meeting of the German Mathematical Society, Saarbrücken
- 2011: NIPS workshop Relations between machine learning problems, Sierra Nevada, Spain
- 2009: NIPS Workshop Clustering: Science or Art? Whistler, Canada
- 2007: Workshop on Stability and Resampling Methods for Clustering, Tübingen, Germany
- 2005: NIPS Workshop on Theoretical Foundations of Clustering, Whistler, Canada
- 2003: Machine Learning Summer School (MLSS), Tübingen, Germany
- Since 2015 Full professor for theoretical computer science / learning theory at the Department of Computer Science, University of Tübingen
- 2012 - 2015 Full professor ("Heisenberg-Professor") for Machine Learning at the Department of Computer Science, University of Hamburg
- 2007 - 2012 Research group leader for learning theory at the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent System, Tübingen, Germany
- 2005 - 2006 Head of the Data Mining Group at Fraunhofer IPSI, Darmstadt, Germany.
- 2002 - 2004 PhD student at the Department of Empirical Inference, Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, Tübingen.
- 2001 Diplom (~ M.Sc.) in mathematics, after studying at the universities of Konstanz, Grenoble, and Tübingen