Open positions and application guidelines
Current job offers
- If you are interestsed in a PhD with me, you might apply to the International Max Planck Research School for Intelligent Systems (next deadline: April 2017). application instructions
- I am also looking for one more PhD student at my university group. The ideal candidate would be fluent in German (as the position requires to hold tutorials, Übungsgruppen, in German), and had a Master degree in mathematics or in computer science with a strong background in mathematics. If you are interested, please send an application as described below. We screen applications constantly until the position is filled.
Some general rules
- PhD students: We cannot accept PhD students who do not have a Master degree yet.
- Interns: We do not accept interns who do not have a Master degree yet.
- General inquiries: Please also provide all the material mentioned in the application guidelines below if you just want to inquire about internships or future PhD possibilities. It is simply impossible to judge requests if we do not have the full information about you.
When you apply to our group as an intern, PhD student or Postdoc, please send all material listed below by email to the address mentioned in the job description (or to Ulrike von Luxburg if you do not apply to an official job opening). We are going to ignore any requests that do not contain the full application material listed below. Please refrain from sending non-electronic applications by standard mail.
In a first single pdf file please collect the following information:
- Curriculum vitae
- Certificates of your high school degrees (for Germans: Abitur) and your undergraduate degrees (Bachelor, Master; or Vordiplom and Diplom), including transcript of records
- A letter explaining why you are interested in our research (for PhD candidates and interns) or a research statement about your own past and future research (postdocs)
- Contact details (link to homepage, email address, phone number) of two or three referees. Note that in order to get unbiased references, we prefer to contact the referees ourselves. So please do not attach their reference letters to your application.
- If applicable, you may attach your latest thesis or your favorite paper as a second pdf file.
Please give meaningful names to the files (eg, your last name), and make sure that they are not too large (say, not larger than 5 MB).